Tuesday 30 July 2019

Day 4 Cake!

As I mentioned in my intro, I tend to leave baking to others. However, in the spirit of MoFo, I present my simple, basic chocolate snacking cake. Yes I had already removed  a slice before I took the picture LOL


The basis of this cake comes from depression-era baking when eggs and milk were not easily available. I think everyone must have a variation of this cake in their recipe boxes.  I have seen it called wacky cake and crazy cake. To me, it’s a genius cake because of the simple ingredients. I make this when a simple snacking cake is what I want.  I would double the recipe and make an icing if this were to be a birthday cake.

I had some fresh cherries so decided to add them to make this one a bit different. Honestly didn’t really notice them much in the final taste test, and their juiciness meant a slightly longer cooking time, but all-in-all, not a bad cake.



Genius Snacking Cake

Pre-heat oven to 350 F / 180 C

Place the following dry ingredients in a bowl and mix together with a fork

1-1/2 cups flour (I used all purpose)
1 cup granulated sugar
3 tbsp cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 t salt.

Once mixed, level off the dry ingredients in your bowl and create three holes for the wet ingredients (that’s one hole for each of these three)

1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla

Finally add

1 cup warm water

Mix everything together until fully incorporated.  At this point I then also added 1 cup of fresh pitted cherries as a variation.

Pour into an ungreased 8 inch cake pan and bake for 35 minutes . Check for doneness.

Let cool in pan , slice and enjoy.

#veganmofo19





3 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, I have a cake like this! You can find it on my blog with an orange cream cheese frosting recipe to go with it, but I've tried all sorts of toppings or no topping. It's such a good, easy cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sucha simple and moist cake, I love that recipe

    ReplyDelete